Sunday, May 25, 2014

Reorganizing my die collection

I think I spend more time organizing my craft supplies than actually using them. LOL!!!

A couple years ago, I shared how I organized my dies (posted here) using binders and magnetic vent covers:

Well, I have come up with a different method for storing and organizing my die collection.  I'm still going to use the binder method for storing my Spellbinders dies.  I'm using the new storage method for various single, thin dies.

I started off by making my own plastic pockets.  I looked at buying the clear pockets, but 1) they didn't make them in the size I needed and 2) it got to be quite expensive for how many I needed.

How did I make my own clear pockets?   Answer....By using my Foodsaver and regular sized sheet protectors.  You can buy a box of 100 sheet protectors from Office Depot for less than $20.  I happened to buy mine at a garage sale for a couple bucks. ETA: I used the heavy weight sheet protectors.

 I started off by cutting off the hole punched edge.  I cut the sheet protectors to the size I wanted which gave me a set of 4 per sheet.  I used the Foodsaver to seal the edges.  They turned out like this:

I cut magnetic vent covers to fit into the pockets.  

I categorized the dies and placed them into a card rack.  I found this card rack at a local craft store's warehouse sale a couple weeks ago.  I thought it was a steal at $10.

What I like about this new storage system is that they are categorized by theme, the rack spins and I can just flip through them to find the die I need.  This is so much easier than going through binder after binder to find the right die.  Originally, I was storing them by company but it made more sense to store them by theme.  I printed labels with the names of the company and die and adhered them to the back of each set.

Many of you probably don't own a card rack or don't have the space for one.  Another option would be use plastic bins to store the die pockets:

Small plastic Bin                              Split Plastic Bin

Jennifer McGuire uses them for her die storage:

I'm off to finish reorganizing my dies.  It's amazing how many dies I have collected!!  Maybe with this new and improved storage system, I'll be inclined to use them. LOL!!

ETA: Here are the categories I used:
Winter (including Christmas)
Nature (clouds, rain, etc)
Elements (flourishes, doilies, shapes, etc)
Cover Up
Butterflies (I seem to love collecting butterfly dies that I have to have it as a category!! LOL)
Holidays (Vday, Easter, Halloween, etc)
Celebrations (Birthday, graduation, etc)
Sea (shells, waves, seaweed, etc)
Other (cars, handbags, fire hydrant, hot air balloon, cityscapes....basically anything that doesn't fit the above categories)

Hope this helps with getting your dies organized. :)


Sunday, May 11, 2014

Creative Consultant Challenge - Turn Up The Heat

This month's challenge is all about heat embossing.  

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of heat embossing because I'm terrible at it!! LOL!!  I love the look and feel of projects using heat embossing.  Like with takes practice. :)

For my first card, I used the Hooray It's Your Day stamp set and the matching Balloon Die set.  It's A Muse Studio's birthday and you get the birthday present!!  Host a qualifying Workshop and you can receive the stamp set for free (a $24.95 value).  

I stamped and embossed the sentiment using the White Embossing Poweder on Ocean cardstock, which was then adhered to the Sugar card base.  I used a variety of Shimmer cardstock for the clouds and balloons.  

The clouds were cut from the die set that matches the Silver Linings stamp set.  If you look closely, you can see "swirly" indentation on the cloud die cuts.  I saved my heavily used cutting plates and anytime I want added texture, I use those plates.

I layered the balloons using foam tape (the pink balloon had double the foam tape on the bottom).  I finished off the card by drawing the strings by hand.

For my second card, I thought I would try the black embossing powder.  The Pretty Peonies stamp set comes with a solid image and an outlined image.

I embossed the outline first and then I stamped the solid peony using Cherry ink.  The "miss you" sentiment is from the Say It With Style stamp set.  As a finishing touch, I added Cherry Organdy Sheer ribbon. The contrast between the Sugar layer and the Onyx card base is fabulous.

I love how these turned out.  I plan on using the embossing technique a bit more.  :)

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

A few of the consultants are showering our mothers with Happy Mother's Day cards.  

Here's my card that I made to send to all the wonderful mothers of the consultants in this swap.

I used Bubblegum cardstock for the card base and the base for the layers.  The layers also include sugar and shell cardstock.  The images are from A Hundred Wishes stamp set.  I used Papaya ink to stamp the images.  The "Happy Mother's Day" sentiment is from the Say It With Style stamp set. 

Here's a close the pink heart twinkle on the "o" in Mother.  Finally, I dabbed a bit of stickles to give a sparkle.

I hope all the mothers like my card.

Happy Mother's Day!!!


Friday, May 9, 2014

Pictures of the Week

I apologize that I haven't been able to keep up with posting weekly photos.  Work is keeping me quite busy which means less time for fun.

So, I will post as often as I can.

For this week.....

A Mother's Love